Monday, February 10, 2014

3 Dimensional Owl Sample

I told you I was going for the owl on page 86 of Artbooking Cricut Cartridge, didn't I?!

Here are all of the pieces cut out that I will need for my project.  The owl bases are Saddle cardstock.  The owl overlay is Balloon Ride B&T from the paper packet; the eyes are the reverse side.  The tree and branch is from Kraft paper, the leaves are Juniper, and the saying is Sorbet.

Before I go on, I have to confess that I used Cricut Craft Room to cut these pieces out.  As much as I love my Artbooking cartridge, it gives me grief sometimes when it comes to real dial size and proportional sizing.  In this case, I couldn't get it to cut my owls at 3.5".

Once all these pieces were cut out, I sponged the owl body pieces with Saddle ink, leaves with Juniper, the tree and branch with Desert Sand, the saying with Sorbet, and the eyes with Crystal Blue.

Let me show you the finished project, and then I'll get back to more details.





Before I glued the tree to our 6" x 6" canvas, I sponged that area with Desert Sand.  I wanted to have the tree look like one.  : )

The overlay tree is cut at 6" x 2", and is found on page 66 of the booklet (Column 10, Row 3; <Overlay ><shift>).

The branch (page 85) is glued under the overlay tree.








In the Craft Room, the branch was shorter than I'd like, but I wanted to keep the size of the leaves and limb.  Because I was in the Craft Room, I was able to stretch the leaves out without making the limb wider.  I put the leaves on another layer of my project so I was able to stretch  those to match the base leaves in size.


To achieve the 3D look, I scored and folded the owl inward.  I glued the two dimensional pieces together along the seam with liquid glass.  Then I glued the edges of that piece to the base piece -- just like the video showed you.




Let me tell you how I got to the finished owl.  After I glued the background and textured paper to the front (again, I made sure the sizes matched in the Craft Room by having both pieces on separate layers), the nose, eyes, and stomach were open.  Of course I didn't want that!

I flipped each owl over and punched two Colonial White 1.25" circles (from our fabulous circle punch) and glued them on.  Then I cut some Glitter paper (light brown) - 1.5" x 1.5" piece fit nicely - and glued that onto the back.  The glitter paper doesn't like to adhere with regular adhesive, so I took out and used my handy dandy Liquid Glass!  No problems sticking anymore.





I really like the way this project turned out.  My sister commented to me how neat it was to have the owl looking at her from the other side of the room!


All Supplies CTMH (go shop now):
Z1818     My Creations 6"x6" Canvas Display
Z1375     Kraft Cardstock
Z1830     Glitter Paper - Brown & Town
X7180B  Balloon Ride Paper Packet
X5752     Juniper Cardstock
X5751     Sorbet Cardstock
Z2171     Saddle Stamp Pad
Z2118     Desert Sand Stamp Pad
Z2165     Juniper Stamp Pad
Z2164     Sorbet Stamp Pad
Z679       Liquid Glass
Z726       Sponge Daubers
Z1311     1 1/4" Circle Punch
Z1151     3-D Foam Tape
Z1836     Non-Stick Micro-Tip Scissors (for cutting 3-D Foam tape -- awesome because there is no residual)
Z1906     Cricut Artbooking Collection
X5936    Whimsy Cardstock Combo Pack contains Juniper and Sorbet

No comments: