Friday, March 7, 2014

Leprechaun Hats


In San Diego cookie season is coming to a close.  Cookie booths are done on March 9th but individuals will still be able to sell until March 16th.  Why am I telling you this?  Because you just might want to get an extra pack of Thin Mints for this tasty St. Patrick's Day treat!

I found this recipe on Pintrest from thecakeblog.com under Leprechaun Hats.  The baker used Keebler Fudge Striped cookies for the brim.  However, since it's Girl Scout Cookie Season with two Girl Scouts in the house, I made my from Thin Mints!
Other major differences exist between my hats and thecakeblog hats.  I used chocolate chips to coat the marshmallows.  The cookies are already coated so I didn't need to do that.  Also, I piped the green hat band.  Oh, the main/major difference between the cookies... her's looks professionally done!!

When I do this again, I will use melts or Almond Bark (found at Walmart) instead of the chocolate chips.  The finish is much smoother.

The shamrocks weren't as easy to make as thecakeblog made it seem.  Of course it could have been because it was raining out.  The melts were liquid, but as soon as it hit the parchment paper on the granite counter-tops, they hardened.  I dropped the three dots of melt closer than their picture shows so I wouldn't need to blend them as much.  That helped a lot.

However homemade they look, they are YUMMY!  And I'm not a huge fan of Thin Mint (I know, blasphemy!!).  But the combination of Thin Mint cookie with marshmallow hit the spot.

So get your Thin Mint cookies before it's too late!  And Happy St. Patrick's Day!!



No comments: