Thursday, February 15, 2018

Sunny Thoughts Envelope Bag

A fellow consultant challenged me the other day to make something from a box of Kraft colored envelopes.  While we were talking about potential projects, she teasingly asked if I remembered making bags out of envelopes.  She gave me a box of the envelopes, "downsizing" she said.  ;)

I do remember the days we created a bag from an envelope and set out to do just that again.


Let me walk you through how I created mine:

Seal the envelope. That's simple enough.  The flap will allow the bag to be closed rather than drafty.

Cut the envelope - usually in half, to create an opening for the bag.  These envelopes are 11" long by 4.75" wide, and I didn't want my bag that tall.  I cut the envelope in half anyway.  Then I cut an additional 0.25" (from the cut side), twice, for my handles.  And then I just cut off some more so that a gift card would just sit inside the bag.  Therefore, before scoring, I cut the envelope to 4.25".

Score the bottom and the sides.  The first one I scored at 0.75" on the bottom and 0.75" along each side.  I decided it was too wide for me, so I scored this one at 0.5" on the bottom and 0.75" along each side.
Fold on the score lines, really well, folding in the both directions.  Your bone folder really helps here.

Create the bottom.  Now that you've folded the score line really well, open up the envelope.  You will have the natural envelope edge in the middle of your two scored lines.  And as you square the bottom off, you'll notice you have a triangular section forming below the bag.  That's good!  Those triangular sections will get folded and glued to the bottom of the bag.  Use a bone folder to get into the corners of the bag.
You'll also notice the sides of the bag forming too.  Those are created from the scored lines along the side.  Go ahead and define the sides more too.

Decorate!  I thought the color of the Kraft matched our Gimme Some Sugar paper (X7228B) really well, so I went with that.  : )
The "You are the Sunshine in my pocket" stamp is one stamp, so I stamped it once on a 2.5" circle (thin cut Basic Circles - Z3318) in Peacock ink (Z2849), cleaned it, and stamped it again on scratch White Daisy using Tangerine ink (Z2809).  I used a paper trimmer to cut just below and above the dotted lines (highlighting "SUNSHINE"), bannered the edges, inked the edges with Tangerine, and mounted it with Thin 3D Foam (Z2060).  I also inked the edge of my circle with Peacock ink.
For the single flower (that's a single stamp too),  I stamped it once in Tangerine ink, and created a second generation with Juniper ink (Z2865).  Have I ever mentioned that I'm anal?!  I cut around the Tangerine flower, and when I cut the Juniper image, I cut off the ends of the flower.  Most of the Juniper flower is still there, for placement and anchor, of the Tangerine flower that I glued directly onto the Juniper flower.
For the handles, I cut them shorter, removing the envelope flap.  I used the bone folder to create the curve of the handles.  That's achieved the same way you curl curling ribbon with scissors.  The bone folder doesn't damage the paper though.  : o  Bonding memories was applied to the ends of the ribbon to adhere them to the bag.

Fill it!  Put a small surprise in your bag, and watch the recipients face light up when they receive the bag!  : )

Sunny Thoughts (S1802) has additional good stamp images.  It's only available through the end of the month.  Don't wait, we're halfway through February already!!

No comments: