Thursday, June 16, 2016

Thoughtful Thursday 6/16/2016

I was at the STEAM Festival before the San Diego Fair opened yesterday morning.  There I spoke with an indoor skydiver.  He was telling me how fun skydiving was.  I countered with I don't like free falling.  "No, no," he said.  "You don't feel like you're free falling because the speed of the plane when you jump out.  You only add about 20 mph over 4 to 5 seconds."  I had never thought about that before.  Skydiving to me has always been like Tower of Terror, and something to be avoided.  I don't need my stomach outside my mouth!

Then I told him I'd like to hang glide.  "Now THAT's on my bucket list."
He, of course, said no way.  "That's way too close to the ground!"

When I walked away and later thought about the conversation, I thought about perception.  My perception of skydiving certainly changed.  Mind you, I still have no desire to free fall from a plane.  But the thought isn't as disturbing to me.

Look again at a situation in life, or at someone whom you've pigeon holed as a type of person.  Maybe by looking at it from a different perspective, it's not so bad!

1 comment:

Stacy J said...

I have skydived. And, I have to agree that it was nothing like I thought it would be! I also hate "free falling." It didn't feel like that at all! There was so much wind blowing at me as I fell, it didn't feel anything like The Tower of Terror! You should totally try it someday! I actually want to do it again!