Sunday, July 24, 2016

Color My Heart Color Dare and CAS(E) This Sketch


This week's Color My Heart Color Dare #203 is all about Canary, Sorbet, Crystal Blue, and White Daisy.  These colors are from the Zoe paper packet.  Instead of capitalizing on the paper packet, I thought I'd show you how you can use cardstock and still have a wonderful card.


When I saw the CAS(E) sketch for last week, I knew it was a match made in heaven.  The simplicity brings out the colors of the Color My Heart Color Dare.  : )
First off, here is the sketch for last week  and the Color Dare Colors.



Take a look at the Crystal Blue cardstock.  It isn't a solid color!  That's because I went and used Crystal Blue ink with the wavy lines (I was thinking Hawaii's ocean) from Jumping Geometrics stamp set.  Tone on tone stamping makes for subtle but pleasing patterns while not being too bold.

I colored the flower in with CTMH Watercolor pencils - sorbet - using several layers and pressure to make the flower look more dimensional but staying with one color.  The stamen is colored with Sunny Yellow under Sunflower to give the color Canary. I could have gone back with water to soften the color of the flower but decided against that look.  Maybe I'll have do it anyway so you can see the difference...

Since we don't carry Canary Twine, I took our White Twine and colored it with Canary ink!  How is that done?  Simply hold the end of the twine with one finger.  Dab a sponge dauber (or sponge) in your color choice (here, it's Canary), and sponge the twine.  Want to go faster?  Position the twine so that it's sandwiched between the ink pad and sponge dauber.  Pull the twine through.  Repeat until you get the coverage you desire.  The knot was created the same way and then tied on around the two parallel twine pieces.  I was able to slide the knot to the desired place (it took a few tries to make me happy).

After cutting out the flower, I mounted it with 3D foam tape.  The saying (and flower) are from the Hawaiian Hibiscus set, and is stamped with Sorbet ink.

I hope this has inspired you!

All CTMH Supplies:
D1637 Jumping Geometrics (available through July 31, 2016)
B1527 Hawaiian Hibiscus (available through Aug 31, 2016)
Z2117 Crystal Blue Ink
Z2164 Sorbet Ink
Z2643 Canary Ink
Z2105 Black Ink
1292  Crystal Blue cardstock
1385  White Daisy carstock - scrap for flower
X254 White Cards and Envelope Value Pack
3505 Watercolor Pencils - Sorbet, Sunny Yellow, and Sunflower
Z726  Sponge Dauber
Z3216 Twine - White
Z1151 3-D Foam Tape


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your card is delightful. I love the tone on tone stamping. Thanks for playing at Color My Heart Color Dare.

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Very pretty...love the soft colors in the hibiscus...lovely. Thanks for joining us at Color Dare, and please come back for the next color challenge.

Donna said...

Such a pretty card! The twine is a nice touch. Thank you for inspiring us at Color My Heart Challenge Blog.

NJ Stamping Queen said...

Great combination of color challenge and sketch challenge. It really is lovely! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Color Dare blog. We'd love to see you join us again soon!
:) Marie

G Eileen Studios said...

What a beautifully colored flower! It looks lovely against the simple background. Thanks for taking a Color Dare.

Cat Nowak said...

So pretty! I love how you watercolored the hibiscus. Thank you for joining us at Color My Heart.