Friday, August 11, 2017

Magazine Inspired Fundamentals Swap Card

How about this card?  My inspiration came from a beach bag card in Paper Crafts Magazine from July 2012.  It's the stripes that stood out to me.

My card uses the new patterns of Enchantment and Whimsy Fundamentals (both new patterns).  I also made my own B&T paper by stamping with Sapphire ink on Sapphire cardstock.  For that I used the In the Background stamp set (new).  The flowers are from Beautiful You (new) stamp set, but I used the bundle - the corresponding Thin Cuts and Stamp Set.

Flowers Thin Cut
How dimensional do those flowers look?!  Three stamps were used in the making of each!

Large Flower:  Pansy was 2nd generated for the base layer.  Then I stamped Pansy again, but 1st generation, for the middle layer.  The top/smallest part of the flower was inked in Eggplant.

Medium flower:  For this one, I only used Saffron Ink.  The base is 3rd generation, the middle layer is 2nd generation, and the top layer is 1st generation.

Small Flower:  This followed the same process as the middle flower except that I used Peacock ink.

Leaves:  Both were stamped 2nd generation and then 1st generation with New England Ivy ink.

The Pansy/Eggplant flower and larger leaf are adhered directly to the paper, the Saffron flower and small leaf are raised with Thin 3D Foam, and the Peacock flower is raised with 3D Foam.  Having different levels adds interest to the card.

The 5.25" x 4.25" card is finished with Gold Pearls (new), and the right two corners rounded.  You might have noticed that I mentioned the dimension of the card isn't the standard 5.5" in height.  Well, I didn't feel like thinking... Each of the strips are 7/8".  I didn't want to decide which color got an extra 1/8" - two are needed to make up the missing 0.25".  Which two strips would you have made higher?  I would have noticed a difference in height.  So, the card is a little shorter - no biggie.  And you may not have noticed if I hadn't mentioned it.  ; )

Before I put my swaps in the mail, I added a piece of cardstock to the top.  I'm hoping this will prevent the pearls from cutting into the envelope.  In addition, I placed the fold of the card into the envelope first.  I don't normally mail cards this way, but I was hoping without the pearls being at the bottom, the cards will go through the machine (and therefore not returned to me for more postage as this might have to be a hand-sorted card.

Check out all the new goodies at dsdoodles.closetomyheart.com.

Item NumberDescription
Z3352 Enchantment Fundamentals
Z3350 Whimsy Fundamentals
X5957 Sapphire Cardstock
Z2848 Sapphire Ink
Z2835 New England Ivy Ink
Z2849 Peacock Ink
Z2847 Eggplant Ink
Z2804 Pansy Ink
Z2851 Saffron Ink
Z3384 Beautiful You Thin Cuts & Stamp Bundle
D1750 In the Background Stamp Set
Z3371 Gold Pearls
Z2060 Thin 3D Foam
Z1151 3D Foam
Z1912 Corner Rounder


No comments: