Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine Jello Cups



Happy Valentine's Day!  Or as my sister puts it, Single Awareness Day (can you guess she's single?).

Most people have on their bucket list items big and bold such as skydiving, scuba diving, or more adventurous, bungee jumping.  I am NOT one of those people.  Me, I've wanted to make these desserts for years.  I printed the instructions from Kraft Foods website with the best intentions about 5 years ago, but I've never made them... until now!

Here is the finished product!  Of course in the picture with the instructions there is only supposed to be two layers, but mine (of course) didn't work out that way.


To start the process you have to pipe a chocolate heart on the inside of the cup.  It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be at first.  The left cup was the first one I did.  I tried to see what I was drawing through the oopening of the cup.  I started at the top of the heart and curved to the bottom.  Then I restarted at the top and curved in the opposite direction to the bottom.  My biggest problem - my hand was in the way and I couldn't see!

Then I thought, "what if I start at the bottom of the heart and worked my way up?!"  I tried this and got the middle cup as a result.  Better, but not great.  Again, my hand was in my line of sight.

Light bulb moment came next!  Let me try to look through the cup to the other side.  And what happens if I start at the bottom point and draw one continuous line?  Whoa la!!  That worked, even if the image was slightly warped by looking through the cup.  Thirty one more hearts to draw.

Back to the three layers...  So, I'm not sure why the whipped cream separated from the jello.  And honestly, I don't care.  I will probably finish these cups off with a dollop of whipped cream and the kids can enjoy them!  I'm hoping someone won't want his so I can try.  : )

PS. Heather, you could do the same thing with shamrocks instead of hearts and green Jello for your favorite St. Patrick's Day Holiday.

How will you modify yours?!

Oh, yes... best of all, CHECK for my bucket list!

No comments: